Mr. Sameh Kamal, Partner, joined ZH&P in 2012 moving from an international law firm. He masters in-depth knowledge and practical experience in corporate, commercial, financial transactions and related securities, banks settlements, incorporation of companies, securitization, securities lending, investment management, private equity, mutual funds, leveraged acquisition, and project finance transactions. He also has a solid track record of successful cooperation with governmental entities, authorities, and public companies in relation to sovereign backed transactions as well as with private entities.
Prior to joining ZH&P in 2012, Mr. Kamal undertook advising an international investor on all aspects relating to a wastewater project in a developing community through the PPP scheme. He also advised several clients in relation to the legal aspects of the Tender Law - including bidding and transacting with government agencies. He had further advised an international consortium with respect to bidding for the third mobile license in Egypt. Additionally, Mr. Kamal was a member of the French-based Onyx team handling and negotiating a major long-term solid waste disposal contract with the Governorate of Alexandria.
Recently, Mr. Kamal advised an investor on all legal aspects of financing a major project established through a BOT system in Egypt as well as counseling on and negotiating the FDIC-based construction agreement and financing agreement. Mr. Kamal also advised an international bank on all legal aspects related to providing finance to a sovereign backed company - including all required securities and corporate authorizations. His recent professional experience also includes advising a leading Egyptian bank on all aspects of a leveraged acquisition transaction involving the acquisition of real estate projects through a settlement arrangement and booking such projects on the books of a joint venture structure via leveraged acquisition.
With over 19 years of experience, recent examples of the matters he has taken part in include:
- Review of an Islamic-based contract for an international motor company and its compliance with both the landmark Islamic principles and the conventional banking laws and regulations – 2016
- Sovereign Backed Financing of Power Stations in Burullus, New Capital, and Beni Suef - Deutsche Bank, HSBC Middle East Limited and other lenders (group of leading financial institutions) – 2015/2016
- Syndicated acquisition facility directed towards the acquisition of a major industrial conglomerate – 2015/2016
- Fifth Securitization Bonds’ Issuance of CORPLEASE worth EGP 802 Million - Corporate Leasing Company Egypt S.A.E (CORPLEASE), 2015
Legal services to ENGIE’s 250MW Windfarm Project in the Gulf of Suez – 2016
Sovereign Backed Financing of Power Stations in Burullus, New Capital, and Beni Suef - Deutsche Bank, HSBC Middle East Limited and other lenders (group of leading financial institutions) – 2016
- Providing legal services to the procurement, construction and finance of new container terminal in an Egyptian port - 2016
- Financing of 6 Electric Transmission Substations in Egypt – 2016
- Financing of the supply, installation and commissioning of a 4,400MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Beni Suef - 2016
He was ranked by IFLR1000 as “Leading Rising Star lawyer” in the Capital Markets and Banking practice for the years 2018 and 2019. He was also ranked by the LEGAL 500 as “Next Generation Lawyer” in the practices of Energy and Banking & Finance for the year 2018 and in Banking & Finance for the year 2017.
He is member of the Egyptian Bar Association since 1999 and has been admitted before the Egyptian Courts of Appeal since 2007. He is proficient in Arabic and English.
Mr. Kamal achieved the LL.B. from Cairo University’s Faculty of Law in 1999 and the LL.M. in Banking and Finance from Boston University School of Law in 2003 - followed by a legal internship program at Van Bael & Bellis LLP in Brussels, Belgium.